- Stop Smoking: Smoking reduces circulation to the skin and impedes healing.
- Take Multivitamins: Start taking daily to improve your general health once you have scheduled your surgery.
- Do Not Take Aspirin or Ibuprofen: Stop taking medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen. Review the list of medications containing aspirin and ibuprofen carefully. Such drugs cause bleeding problems during and after surgery. Instead, use medication containing acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- Limit Vitamin E: Limit intake of vitamin E to less than 400mg per day.
- Fill Your Prescriptions: Please have them filled before the day of surgery and bring them with you.
The Day Before Surgery
- Confirm Surgery Time: Please call the office the day prior to your surgery to confirm specifics.
- Cleansing: The night before surgery, shower and wash the surgical areas with plain soap.
- Eating or Drinking: Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight. This includes water.
The Morning of Surgery
- Eating or Drinking: Do not eat or drink anything! If you take a daily medication, you may take it with a sip of water in the early morning. We will instruct you which medications you should take.
- Cleansing: Shower and wash the surgical areas again with plain soap.
- Make-up: Please do not use perfumes, moisturizers, creams, lotions, hair spray, or makeup.
- Clothing: Wear only comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that does not go over your head. Remove hairpins, wigs, body piercing, and jewelry.
- Please do not bring valuables with you.
- Minor Patients: If you are under 18 years old, you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Check-in: Please report to the Surgical center one hour earlier than your scheduled surgery time.